I’m thinking of setting my 3rd year cosmology students questions from the general public to see how well they’ve been listening, and to prepare them for unexpected cosmology questions at dinner parties. So I need all your questions about the universe!
- What is the universe expanding into?
- Using powerful telescopes we can look ‘back’ at light from very early on in the universe. But how did we beat it ‘here’? It has been traveling at the speed of light and yet we are already here waiting for its arrival.
- If everything is expanding, how would we know about it, since all our rulers are twice as big as well?
- I heard an Australian guy won the Nobel prize for his work in cosmology. What did he actually do?
- Where did the big bang happen?
- What is redshift? How do we know what wavelength the light left the galaxy with?